*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-09-13: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7743 - released

*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-09-12: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7741 - released!


We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Project is changed into XigmaNAS!

General information about XigmaNAS
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
User avatar
JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru
Posts: 1166
Joined: 16 Apr 2014 04:15
Location: PR
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Project is changed into XigmaNAS!

#31

Post by JoseMR »

Breezewood wrote:
03 Feb 2019 23:06
NeilP wrote:
21 Jan 2019 09:57
Just seen this name change... while my system is working I tend not to look in

What a mouthful of a name !


‘Ex Ig Ma Nas. ‘ is that how it is supposed to be said ? Yuk !
I have likened to say it as "Zig-Ma-Nas"

NeilP wrote:
04 Feb 2019 01:27
Suppose you could try saying it that way. Yes, thinking about it, there probably are not any words starting with the letter ‘X’ that are pronounced using ‘’X’
Both equally horrorid and ‘cringe worthy’
Almost too embarrassing a name to admit to
using it now ;)

Judging or be ashamed of using an OS/product due its Name/Brand, as in "I use Windows because I don't like the name/pronouncing Ubuntu(ʊˈbʊntu)" for example, is plain silly (No Offense).

In my case I can pronounce XigmaNAS as either "Sig-ma-NAS", "Zig-ma-NAS" or even simply use "ΣNAS" as a short.

On the other hand, you can always run a Full Platform and apply your own GUI theme changing brand/logos/icons etc., or fork/build a custom distro with your naming/branding requirements.

Between there are always choices like FreeNAS(be mentally prepared if you plan to use their forums) and Open Media Vault(OMV), or even easier there's the of-the-shelf NAS, if either the manufacturer locked or data integrity if not as important for you as the brand name.

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS Mirror, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

NeilP
Advanced User
Advanced User
Posts: 223
Joined: 15 Jul 2012 11:45
Location: Jersey, Channel Islands, Europe
Status: Offline

Re: Project is changed into XigmaNAS!

#32

Post by NeilP »

Of course it is silly ! you are correct there, no offence taken.

It is has been so reliable, I won’t be changing. Have been using ‘it’ through two or three name changes now. FreeNAS, NAS4Free, and was it not something else’s before FreeNAS?

I am not sure what actual version I am running now on my NAS/BT / Plex box.
But it is still has the NAS4Free logo on it. Not even sure if my hardware will support the latest release.

Can’t even remember now why I popped by and saw the name change.
I know my weekly auto-boot backup box packed up a few weeks ago... PSU issue I think... might have been the thought of rebuilding that in a new chassis that sent me here for new disk image.

Anyway, I gotta go, nurse wants me to get ready for theatre... going in for op to have tibial nail removed from my leg 😞

was-armandh
Advanced User
Advanced User
Posts: 182
Joined: 19 Nov 2018 11:30
Location: St Louis County MO USA
Status: Offline

Re: Project is changed into XigmaNAS!

#33

Post by was-armandh »

Gallery title still refers to N4F
by using this free advise, you, your heirs, etc
absolve, save, and hold harmless the advisor.
CAVEAT EMPTOR
YMMV

Bobby072
Starter
Starter
Posts: 26
Joined: 18 May 2020 06:31
Status: Offline

Re: Project is changed into XigmaNAS!

#34

Post by Bobby072 »

Why was there any need to have a trademark in the first place?

NAS4FREE was fine as a name for years and years and since its descriptive and cant be trademark there is not need to protect name.

So help me understand why a so called "Free" thing needs to be trademarked. Then I can be added to the list of people you say "thanks for understanding" when there is not enough info in the opening statement to understand fully.

Did the entire NAS4free userbase community vote on the trademark name? NAS4FREE just more descriptive and friendly Xignma? not very descriptive to me.

Thanks for clarifying.

User avatar
ms49434
Developer
Developer
Posts: 992
Joined: 03 Sep 2015 18:49
Location: Neuenkirchen-Vörden, Germany - GMT+1
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Project is changed into XigmaNAS!

#35

Post by ms49434 »

Bobby072 wrote:
19 May 2020 07:22
Why was there any need to have a trademark in the first place?

NAS4FREE was fine as a name for years and years and since its descriptive and cant be trademark there is not need to protect name.

So help me understand why a so called "Free" thing needs to be trademarked. Then I can be added to the list of people you say "thanks for understanding" when there is not enough info in the opening statement to understand fully.

Did the entire NAS4free userbase community vote on the trademark name? NAS4FREE just more descriptive and friendly Xignma? not very descriptive to me.

Thanks for clarifying.
A trademark helps us to protect the product name from abuse. In the past, there have been clones/forks of NAS4Free on the internet using the same name. The trademark already helped us to convince others to rename their projects.
A company offering a similar product registered several NAS4Free domains (first come, first serve principle). Without a trademark, it was impossible for us to claim ownership of these domains and this company has a high interest in keeping these domains. Please browse www.nas4free.com or www.nas4free.net and make up your own opinion.

ms49434
1) XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7U3, 22GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, LSI 9300-8i IT mode in passthrough mode. Pool 1: 2x HGST 10TB, mirrored, L2ARC: Samsung 850 Pro; Pool 2: 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, SLOG: Samsung SM883, services: Samba AD, CIFS/SMB, ftp, ctld, rsync, syncthing, zfs snapshots.
2) XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7U3, 8GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, IBM M1215 crossflashed, IT mode, passthrough mode, 2x HGST 10TB , services: rsync.

netware5
experienced User
experienced User
Posts: 140
Joined: 31 Jan 2017 21:39
Location: Sofia, BULGARIA
Status: Offline

Re: Project is changed into XigmaNAS!

#36

Post by netware5 »

ms49434 wrote:
19 May 2020 09:58
.........................
A company offering a similar product registered several NAS4Free domains (first come, first serve principle). Without a trademark, it was impossible for us to claim ownership of these domains and this company has a high interest in keeping these domains. Please browse www.nas4free.com or www.nas4free.net and make up your own opinion.

ms49434
Ha ha, I didn't know about these dirty tricks .... :)
XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4 - Ingva (rev.7743) embedded on HP Proliant Microserver Gen8, Xeon E3-1265L, 16 GB ECC, 2x4TB WD Red ZFS Mirror

Bobby072
Starter
Starter
Posts: 26
Joined: 18 May 2020 06:31
Status: Offline

Re: Project is changed into XigmaNAS!

#37

Post by Bobby072 »

ms49434 wrote:
19 May 2020 09:58
Bobby072 wrote:
19 May 2020 07:22
Why was there any need to have a trademark in the first place?

NAS4FREE was fine as a name for years and years and since its descriptive and cant be trademark there is not need to protect name.

So help me understand why a so called "Free" thing needs to be trademarked. Then I can be added to the list of people you say "thanks for understanding" when there is not enough info in the opening statement to understand fully.

Did the entire NAS4free userbase community vote on the trademark name? NAS4FREE just more descriptive and friendly Xignma? not very descriptive to me.

Thanks for clarifying.
A trademark helps us to protect the product name from abuse. In the past, there have been clones/forks of NAS4Free on the internet using the same name. The trademark already helped us to convince others to rename their projects.
A company offering a similar product registered several NAS4Free domains (first come, first serve principle). Without a trademark, it was impossible for us to claim ownership of these domains and this company has a high interest in keeping these domains. Please browse www.nas4free.com or www.nas4free.net and make up your own opinion.

ms49434
Trademarks are usually done to protect a for sale product. Nas4free as in FREE does not sell anything does it? Or are you planning on selling it and the first step is to trademark the product. That would make sense.

I've never had any issues finding nas4free forums or the downloads for years. Its not like I donated to the wrong people mascaraing as nas4free. I've made free games and had people rip of the name and code. Sure annoying but it was free not for sale so no big deal to me.

Trademarking is not free usually $300-400 + attorney + 6 months wait. But if you plan on going full commercial on the product that is a first step to take, I would do that same.

User avatar
ms49434
Developer
Developer
Posts: 992
Joined: 03 Sep 2015 18:49
Location: Neuenkirchen-Vörden, Germany - GMT+1
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Project is changed into XigmaNAS!

#38

Post by ms49434 »

Bobby072 wrote:
26 Jun 2020 09:08
ms49434 wrote:
19 May 2020 09:58
Bobby072 wrote:
19 May 2020 07:22
Why was there any need to have a trademark in the first place?

NAS4FREE was fine as a name for years and years and since its descriptive and cant be trademark there is not need to protect name.

So help me understand why a so called "Free" thing needs to be trademarked. Then I can be added to the list of people you say "thanks for understanding" when there is not enough info in the opening statement to understand fully.

Did the entire NAS4free userbase community vote on the trademark name? NAS4FREE just more descriptive and friendly Xignma? not very descriptive to me.

Thanks for clarifying.
A trademark helps us to protect the product name from abuse. In the past, there have been clones/forks of NAS4Free on the internet using the same name. The trademark already helped us to convince others to rename their projects.
A company offering a similar product registered several NAS4Free domains (first come, first serve principle). Without a trademark, it was impossible for us to claim ownership of these domains and this company has a high interest in keeping these domains. Please browse www.nas4free.com or www.nas4free.net and make up your own opinion.

ms49434
Trademarks are usually done to protect a for sale product. Nas4free as in FREE does not sell anything does it? Or are you planning on selling it and the first step is to trademark the product. That would make sense.

I've never had any issues finding nas4free forums or the downloads for years. Its not like I donated to the wrong people mascaraing as nas4free. I've made free games and had people rip of the name and code. Sure annoying but it was free not for sale so no big deal to me.

Trademarking is not free usually $300-400 + attorney + 6 months wait. But if you plan on going full commercial on the product that is a first step to take, I would do that same.
Your assumption that trademarks are usually done to protect a for sale product is wrong.
A Trademark is the sign or name of a product, etc. that is officially recorded and protected so that nobody else can use it.
List of trademarked open-source software.
1) XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7U3, 22GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, LSI 9300-8i IT mode in passthrough mode. Pool 1: 2x HGST 10TB, mirrored, L2ARC: Samsung 850 Pro; Pool 2: 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, SLOG: Samsung SM883, services: Samba AD, CIFS/SMB, ftp, ctld, rsync, syncthing, zfs snapshots.
2) XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7U3, 8GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, IBM M1215 crossflashed, IT mode, passthrough mode, 2x HGST 10TB , services: rsync.

Bobby072
Starter
Starter
Posts: 26
Joined: 18 May 2020 06:31
Status: Offline

Re: Project is changed into XigmaNAS!

#39

Post by Bobby072 »

ms49434 wrote:
26 Jun 2020 09:47
Bobby072 wrote:
26 Jun 2020 09:08
ms49434 wrote:
19 May 2020 09:58
Bobby072 wrote:
19 May 2020 07:22
Why was there any need to have a trademark in the first place?

NAS4FREE was fine as a name for years and years and since its descriptive and cant be trademark there is not need to protect name.

So help me understand why a so called "Free" thing needs to be trademarked. Then I can be added to the list of people you say "thanks for understanding" when there is not enough info in the opening statement to understand fully.

Did the entire NAS4free userbase community vote on the trademark name? NAS4FREE just more descriptive and friendly Xignma? not very descriptive to me.

Thanks for clarifying.
A trademark helps us to protect the product name from abuse. In the past, there have been clones/forks of NAS4Free on the internet using the same name. The trademark already helped us to convince others to rename their projects.
A company offering a similar product registered several NAS4Free domains (first come, first serve principle). Without a trademark, it was impossible for us to claim ownership of these domains and this company has a high interest in keeping these domains. Please browse www.nas4free.com or www.nas4free.net and make up your own opinion.

ms49434
Trademarks are usually done to protect a for sale product. Nas4free as in FREE does not sell anything does it? Or are you planning on selling it and the first step is to trademark the product. That would make sense.

I've never had any issues finding nas4free forums or the downloads for years. Its not like I donated to the wrong people mascaraing as nas4free. I've made free games and had people rip of the name and code. Sure annoying but it was free not for sale so no big deal to me.

Trademarking is not free usually $300-400 + attorney + 6 months wait. But if you plan on going full commercial on the product that is a first step to take, I would do that same.
Your assumption that trademarks are usually done to protect a for sale product is wrong.
A Trademark is the sign or name of a product, etc. that is officially recorded and protected so that nobody else can use it.
List of trademarked open-source software.
Lets not get into Im right your wrong.
Its just the way it is. Not saying you can't trademark a FREE product, there is no law preventing that. And there are free products that have been trademarked. But saying usually means MOST cases (Not all)

"A trademark for your product is the most effective way to ensure that no other company can potentially cut in on your profits by selling similar products or goods with your brand name on them. It safeguards the earning potential of your business."

Any company that wanted to potentially market a product would want to trademark the name. Its very common but you don't have to do it in a local small business.

Registering your business name for a trademark isn't required in order for you to have trademark rights. However, a registered trademark can provide greater protection for your brand while helping you build your brand and drive business growth.

User avatar
zoon01
Developer
Developer
Posts: 811
Joined: 20 Jun 2012 21:06
Location: Netherlands
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Project is changed into XigmaNAS!

#40

Post by zoon01 »

See yourself what happend to us with our past name NAS4Free some years ago:

Someone bought the domain name http://www.nas4free.com and let it forward to https://www.freenas.org/
Why and who is hard to tell, Private and hidden information, emails to Ix did not help either.
I personal could not stop this forward and take down that domain name.
Only a trademark on NAS4Free name would have removed the forward to IXsystem freenas web pages.

Now you and everyone else understand why we changed our name and do have a expensive trademark on it.

Regards,
Michael Zoon
System specs: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4 -embedded on Samsung 860 EVO 256GB and Supermicro X10SL7-F w / Bios v3.2, IPMI v.03.86 / CPU E3-1241 v3 @ 3.50GHz - 32GB Crucial DDR3L 1600mhz ECC 1.35v , LSI 2308 on PH20.00.07.00 IT mode, Storage: 5x Western Digital Red (WD30EFRX) raidz

Development system is same system in virtualbox.

User avatar
apollo567
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 758
Joined: 23 Jun 2012 06:37
Location: Ludwigshafen, Germany
Status: Offline

Re: Project is changed into XigmaNAS!

#41

Post by apollo567 »

I absolutly understand how important this trdemark story is, I support having this.....

I suppose the old webadress was given up for cost reasons ?
my NAS and its development until today: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=39&sid=039fed830cf ... 4d0abe4a04

User avatar
zoon01
Developer
Developer
Posts: 811
Joined: 20 Jun 2012 21:06
Location: Netherlands
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Project is changed into XigmaNAS!

#42

Post by zoon01 »

apollo567 wrote:
19 Jul 2020 09:38
I absolutly understand how important this trdemark story is, I support having this.....

I suppose the old webadress was given up for cost reasons ?
apollo567, no we had never bought a nas4free.com name, only .org and .net.we did.
We did not know someone would register .com to point to freenas.
We left freenas under ixsystems flag and building up nas4free without playing bad games or tricks.
System specs: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4 -embedded on Samsung 860 EVO 256GB and Supermicro X10SL7-F w / Bios v3.2, IPMI v.03.86 / CPU E3-1241 v3 @ 3.50GHz - 32GB Crucial DDR3L 1600mhz ECC 1.35v , LSI 2308 on PH20.00.07.00 IT mode, Storage: 5x Western Digital Red (WD30EFRX) raidz

Development system is same system in virtualbox.

User avatar
apollo567
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 758
Joined: 23 Jun 2012 06:37
Location: Ludwigshafen, Germany
Status: Offline

Re: Project is changed into XigmaNAS!

#43

Post by apollo567 »

zoon01 wrote:
19 Jul 2020 13:05
apollo567, no we had never bought a nas4free.com name, only .org and .net.we did.
We did not know someone would register .com to point to freenas.
Ah ok, then I mixed up something.
Now .net & .org is registered, any else ?

Nevertheless. Over time the value of nas4free will erode.
my NAS and its development until today: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=39&sid=039fed830cf ... 4d0abe4a04

User avatar
zoon01
Developer
Developer
Posts: 811
Joined: 20 Jun 2012 21:06
Location: Netherlands
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Project is changed into XigmaNAS!

#44

Post by zoon01 »

apollo567 wrote:
20 Jul 2020 09:48
zoon01 wrote:
19 Jul 2020 13:05
apollo567, no we had never bought a nas4free.com name, only .org and .net.we did.
We did not know someone would register .com to point to freenas.
Ah ok, then I mixed up something.
Now .net & .org is registered, any else ?

Nevertheless. Over time the value of nas4free will erode.
No, we still own .net and org of course ;)
System specs: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4 -embedded on Samsung 860 EVO 256GB and Supermicro X10SL7-F w / Bios v3.2, IPMI v.03.86 / CPU E3-1241 v3 @ 3.50GHz - 32GB Crucial DDR3L 1600mhz ECC 1.35v , LSI 2308 on PH20.00.07.00 IT mode, Storage: 5x Western Digital Red (WD30EFRX) raidz

Development system is same system in virtualbox.

Post Reply

Return to “GENERAL INFORMATION”